Thursday, May 30, 2019

Returning to Maine, reprise

We have been planning to bring Magus back to Maine from Zimmerman Marine in Cardinal, Virginia since we left her there in May, 2017.  The first summer, we were too busy with getting our place in Maine and the gardens back in shape.  The next summer, we were busy training our new German Shephard puppy M'Ocean, thinking he could come along, but it became obvious that it was not practical.  There was some thought that he would be ready to come along this year, and we considered many options of bringing him, boarding him, with or without our other dogs, etc, but Jenny is also geting her dog training business, Whole Dog Camp, going, and a month away would be a problem.

Magus, almost ready to leave Zimmerman Marine
We finally settled on Albert just sailing Magus back between May 15 and June 15, more or less.  It ended up that I flew and drove to Zimmerman's on Tuesday, May 14.  Zimmerman's had Magus in the water, and I began the process of getting her commissioned to sail to Maine; and provisioned, and repaired in various ways.  The big news is that the engine now works better than it has since we bought the boat in 2008.  The transmission and exhaust work was just needed maintenance.  They also replaced the injectors, so now there is essentially no smoke from the engine, and they replaced the motor mounts so there is much less vibration.  Overall, I am very happy with the work they did.

I was also happy to get Magus ready by Sunday, May 19, when I departed for Deltaville.  I explored the Deltaville Marina area on Jackson Creek, and left the next morning for Crisfield.  On both of these days the wind was from the south and I could sail with no engine for hours at a time.  It was lovely.

Mac Ward in Deltaville
The first part of this trip has been full of social events.  While still at Zimmerman's, my good friend Mac from Charlottesville who has a boat in Deltaville took me up there for a Friday night marina party.  The next night I went by dinghy to Williams Wharf Landing across the East River for a dance party and seafood dinner that was part of the Tour de Chesapeake bike race.  I was missing Jenny, who was there with me for the same event in 2017.



Band at Williams Wharf
Party at Williams Wharf
Downwind to Crisfield
In Crisfield, I was able to find my friend Tom Hunter who lived next door growing up in Maryland.  He showed me around and we had a great afternoon.  Crisfield is a unique place, the Crab Capital of the World for one thing.  It was also flooded during Huricane Sandy and is still recovering, although they seem to always be recovering from something.
Boatyard boat in Crisfield
A Peeler shed in Crisfield
  
Near Tom's house
Tom Hunter at home




This photo was provided by a trawler who chatted with me
on the radio as he went by.
From Crisfield, I sailed to St. Leonard's Creek on the Patuxent River to visit another childhood friend Ed Chambers and his wife Karen.  The wind started off good, but then I had to do some motoring.  They live in a community with a dock that I tied up to, and they were excellent hosts.  After two days, Ed and I sailed down the Patuxent to Solomons Island, met Karen at a retaurant, and had a nice dockside dinner.  

Ed Chambers and me
At the dock on St. Leonards Creek
The scene from Bill and Katie's deck
To get a favorable current, I left early the next morning, Saturday, May 25, for the South River and Annapolis to see my friends Bill and Katie Ball.  I mostly motor-sailed, but I had a nice slow sail up the South River, where the giant power boats were going way too fast and close to other boats;Memorial Day weekend.  They also live in a community with water access and have a mooring just off a community dinghy dock with a short path to their house.  Super nice.  On Memorial Day, we went for a real sail on their Beneteau 321 to Cantler's Crab House for a waterfront dining experience.
Bill and Katie sailing on their boat

Kayaking with Bill












Sailing past Thomas Point lighthouse




At the dock on Chase Creek











On Tuesday, May 28, I motor-sailed out to the Bay, and had a good sail up to Annapolis and the Severn River.  I went to Chase Creek to visit my friends Jim and Linda Mumper, who also live in a community with a dock where they keep their Grand Banks trawler Leilani.  They visited us in Freeport a couple of years ago on Leilani and they have done the Great Circle route and other adventurous travels.  Jim gave me a great ride in their runabout boat into Annapolis, and the first night there Jim's brother Bob came up for dinner.  I knew all of them when I lived in Annapolis in 1977 to 1980, sailing and causing other trouble.  
Me, Linda, and Jim on their deck

Did I mention that it's been notably hot?  There were a couple of thunderstorms while I was at Bill and Katie's, and last night there was a loud bang but no rain.  Thunderstorms are forecast for this afternoon too.  It's been around 90 F the last few days.
So, that's a quick catch-up.  I've been trying to find a crew-person to help sail from Baltimore to Maine; or, more accurately, from Cape May to Maine, but Baltimore makes a good starting location.  I've had some people who want to do it, schedules did not work, so no definite plan as of now.  Without crew it could take two weeks to get to Maine, but with crew, it could take as few as 7 days.  In 2012, Jenny and I and Echo did it in 7 days from St. Marys City, but that was lucky, see here.  

Tomorrow is Friday, and I plan to sail to Baltimore to see Echo. She does not have much free time until Sunday, but the forecasts and logistics make me feel the need to leave Baltimore on Sunday morning.  That doesn't fit her schedule very well, but I think we can get together for a bit of time on Friday or Saturday. 

To be continued...


3 comments:

Jenny Ruth Yasi said...

I really love reading this! It almost makes me feel like I'm there! I love it!

Lucifer Smith said...

hydraulic hose supply

Themaparchive said...

Thanks for sharing this blog. its nice i love this blog. rib boat